Friday, May 17, 2013

Well, I guess God must trust me a little bit....

My neighbor came over the other day holding something small and furry.  He had shot a woodchuck in his garden.  While picking up the body he noticed 5 little baby woodchucks, also known as groundhogs.  I have a friend that is a wildlife rehabilitator so I agreed to take them until I could get ahold of her.  They are so cute after all.

Apparently this time of year is super busy for rehabbers.  My friend is overloaded with babies.  She said she simply could not take them but she would see if any of the other rehabbers would.  No such luck.  She stopped by and checked on my babies. She showed me how to care for them, said to give them a few days, and release them at a nature preserve near by.  Whaaaaaat?!? I can't do this!  They will die.  She told me rehabbers only have about a 33% success rate so if two make it, I'm doing good.

I tried to get out of caring for them.  My husband told me I couldn't do that to them.  They were too little to let go, they will die. They are snuggled together in a cage with applesauce and bananas.  Right now, their bellies are full of puppy formula.   They are the most sleepy little things.  I have to wake them to feed them.

So, I'm a wood chuck mommy.  It's been good for my heart.  I don't cuddle them or spend time with them just feed and water them. They are adorable.   I want them to stay feral.  I guess woodchucks can domesticated and make fun pets.    These babies are going to be wild.   My German Shepherd is in love with them.  He stands next their cage and guards them. 

Something sort of similar happened last year after my failed IVF.  I went outside at work and there was baby robin laying on the ground below the nest. It had no feathers and looked pathetic.  I couldn't reach the nest to put it back.  So, I walked away...  circle of life, you know?  Later, I went and it was still there, only it was crying this time.  I picked it up and called another rehabber.  They were too busy too.  I have no luck.  I fed him canned dog food off tweezers and kept him near the nest.  Momma robin checked on him often. I would catch her sitting on the edge of the cage.  When he grow feathers and could fly.  I opened the cage and let him go.  He came back a few times.  People would laugh because a robin would fly out of a tree and land on me.  One day he never came back...
Enjoy some woodchuck pics!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment